Nov 7, 2023 at 7:27 PM Update: 7 hours ago
Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray reacted with surprise on Tuesday to the Turkish association’s plan to complete the battle for the super cup in Saudi Arabia. The clubs do not support the decision and have pushed back against the association.
The Turkish association said in a statement that it had been decided in mutual consultation with national champion Galatasaray and cup winner Fenerbahçe to travel to Saudi Arabia at the end of the year for the battle for the super cup. The association even mentioned a location in the statement.
Not much later it became apparent that there was little mutual consultation. The Fenerbahçe board quickly announced that they did not want to go to Saudi Arabia. “Because it is a country that is against the principles of Atatürk,” the club refers to the founder of the Republic of Turkey.
Galatasaray also whistled back the Turkish association. “As a fan, I don’t want Turkey’s Super Cup to be played abroad this year,” said vice-president Metin Öztürk. “No decision has been made yet, the association must immediately correct this mistake.”
The Turkish association has not yet responded to the criticism from the two Turkish top clubs. Former Eredivisie players Ferdi Kadioglu, Jayden Oosterwolde, Sebastian Szymanski and Dusan Tadic are under contract with Fenerbahçe. Hakim Ziyech plays for Galatasaray.
The matches for the Spanish and Italian super cups will take place in Saudi Arabia at the beginning of January. The country has also already been awarded the Football World Cup in 2034. Saudi Arabia was the only candidate for this.
Beeld: Getty Images
Read more about: