The Hamas Health Ministry on Thursday published a nominal list of some 7,000 Palestinians it said had been killed in the Gaza Strip since the start of the war between Hamas and Israel, after Washington declared it had “no confidence” in its balance sheets.
• Read also: LIVE | 20th day of Israel-Hamas war
• Read also: “Wherever we go, we will die”: Gaza evacuees return to the north
• Read also: Hamas estimates that ‘nearly 50 hostages’ were killed by Israeli strikes
The list of 6,747 names specifies the sex, age and identity number of people killed since the start of Israeli strikes on Palestinian territory. The Hamas government says it is awaiting verification of the identity of 281 other bodies.
The ministry stressed that it was publishing this list after the credibility of its reports was questioned on Tuesday by US President Joe Biden.
Asked about the number of deaths in the conflict, the American president said he had “no confidence” in the figures provided by Hamas, in power in the Gaza Strip.
“I’m sure innocent people were killed, and that’s the price of waging war. But I have no confidence in the figures used by the Palestinians,” he said.
“The American administration has departed from all ethical, humanitarian standards and fundamental human rights values to become the spokesperson for the occupier (Israel, Editor’s note) and boldly question the veracity of the reports announced », affirmed the Hamas Ministry of Health which therefore “decided to reveal the details and the names to the whole world so that the truth is known”.
The Israeli bombings in the Gaza Strip are carried out in retaliation for an attack of unprecedented scale perpetrated by Hamas commandos on October 7 on Israeli territory, where more than 1,400 people, mostly civilians, were killed according to the authorities.