A 40-year-old American woman in California had all four of her limbs amputated after eating fish contaminated with a mysterious bacteria.
Laura Barajas was infected with the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus after eating tilapia, a freshwater farmed fish, purchased at a market near San Francisco.
After undergoing surgery, the forty-year-old was placed in a deep coma, before having all four of her limbs amputated on September 14, according to ABC.
The causative bacteria is often found in brackish waters off the Atlantic coast of the United States and in the Gulf of Mexico.
The US health agency says infections are rare, but their effects can be devastating for vulnerable victims.
Even though the FDA maintains that the infection “poses no danger to most healthy people,” but the infection can be fatal in some cases.
Fatal in one in two aces, the vibrio vulnificus bacteria has claimed the lives of at least five people this year in the United States.