16 Aug 2023 at 18:46
Botic van de Zandschulp will leave for the United States on Thursday in the hope of participating in the US Open in a week and a half. The Dutchman is currently recovering from an ankle injury.
“It is getting a little better every day, but it is becoming challenging. He will fly to Winston-Salem on Thursday and a physiotherapist will accompany him,” says his manager Dille Rikkert.
“His situation is monitored every day. He has only just returned to training and is still building up, but on Wednesday he said it felt good.” In the run-up to the US Open, Van de Zandschulp also wants to participate in the Winston-Salem ATP tournament.
Last year, the number 47 in the world lost in the second round of the US Open, the Grand Slam tournament on which he made his breakthrough in 2021. He then made it to the quarterfinals.
The 27-year-old Van de Zandschulp has not played since Wimbledon. He opted out of a number of clay court tournaments and also missed the Toronto and Cincinnati Masters tournaments. The number two in the Netherlands sustained the ankle injury during a physical training.
The US Open, the last Grand Slam tournament of the year, starts on Monday, August 28.
Beeld: Getty Images
Read more about:
Sandscallop TennisUS OpenBotic