10 Jun 2023 at 14:24
A woman died in Schaijk on Thursday after a resuscitation report. A nearby AED used to help her turned out to be ineffective. The battery of the device was missing and was probably stolen, Omroep Brabant reports on Saturday. It is impossible to say whether the woman would have survived if the battery had not been removed.
An AED is a device that can be used to restore heart rhythm. It does this through an electric shock. The devices hang in many public places, such as supermarkets.
Jan Albers, the manager of the device in Schaijk, is frustrated with the broadcaster. “How does anyone get it into their head to remove the battery from an AED? You’re not doing that, are you?”
Connected civilian aid workers in the area received a resuscitation report on Thursday via the HartslagNu platform. He was not at the incident himself, but learned later that evening that the device was not working.
Not sure if working device would have made a difference
A day later he picked up the device. “The battery was gone. That can only have happened due to theft. That battery cannot just fall out,” he says.
According to the administrator, it is impossible to say whether a working device could have made the difference. “You can never just say that. You don’t know what’s going on with someone and whether there might be other complaints.”
Albers has reported this to the police and will check the other AEDs he manages. The police could not respond to questions from Omroep Brabant.