President Emmanuel Macron goes Friday, June 9 to the victims of the Annecy knife attack which affected six people, including four young children, attacked by a Syrian refugee, said the Elysee.
“Following the attack that occurred yesterday, the President of the Republic and his wife are today going alongside the victims and their families as well as all the people who in Annecy contributed to bringing them help and support, ”said the Elysée.
Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne and Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin had already traveled to Annecy on Thursday, a city in shock after the knife attack in broad daylight in a busy park by the lake.
The motivations of the attacker remain unclear
The balance sheet is four injured babies, including a Briton and a Dutchman. Aged 22 to 36 months, they were transferred to Geneva and Grenoble after first aid on site. Two would still be in a “vital emergency” situation, Olivier Véran said on franceinfo on Friday morning.
An adult was hospitalized after being injured by the attacker and then hit by police fire during the arrest, and another adult was hit more lightly.
The motivations of the aggressor, who spent the night in police custody and can remain so for up to 48 hours, remain obscure at this stage, “without apparent terrorist motive”, according to the prosecution. The man, born in 1991, was not under the influence of narcotics or alcohol. Without a fixed address, he had been in Annecy since the fall of 2022.