May 23, 2023 at 12:34 Update: 3 minutes ago
Prince Harry is also not allowed by the British Supreme Court to pay for his own police security. British media report this on Tuesday. The judge is afraid that other people with enough money will do the same.
The prince previously suggested paying for his security himself, but was told ‘no’ by the judge. He was allowed to go to the Supreme Court to resubmit his request.
The Supreme Court does not agree with Harry’s proposal. According to the court, if the 38-year-old prince is allowed to pay for his police security himself, other wealthy people could also ‘buy’ police security.
In addition, it would pose a safety risk for agents, the judge said. Keeping people safe should only be done in the public interest.
Harry has not been given police protection since 2020
Harry, the youngest son of King Charles, has been deprived of police protection since he and his wife Meghan Markle stepped down as working members of the British royal family in 2020. In addition, Harry and Meghan moved to the United States for security reasons.
The prince previously sued the British Home Office for the lifting of his police protection. Harry demanded that the decision barring individuals from privately paying for police protection be reversed.
Harry and Meghan also say they do not always feel safe in the US. For example, they reported last week that they had been chased by paparazzi in New York.