NOS Nieuws•vandaag, 22:16
A Dutchman died in Ibiza last month after taking hallucinogenic toad poison. This is reported by the AD, based on the Spanish police. It is not clear whether the 58-year-old man took the poison deliberately or whether there was a mistake.
The man’s body was found in a forest near the seaside resort of Cala Llonga, where he had a house, according to the Spanish newspaper Diario de Ibiza. Because the Dutchman had died under suspicious circumstances, a forensic investigation was started.
It turned out that the man died from the poison of the Colorado toad. This poison has a strong hallucinatory effect on humans, comparable to LSD and ayahuasca. At high doses, the substance can lead to coma or death. The toad’s venom is well known among psychedelic drug users.
Diario de Ibiza reports that no other people were involved in the incident.