Omar Gómez Trejo, the prosecutor in charge of the Ayotzinapa case, in which 43 students disappeared in the state of Guerrero -southern Mexico- in 2014, resigned from his position this Tuesday, one day after the eighth anniversary of the tragedy, “due to differences “, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said in his morning press conference.
“The prosecutor is leaving because he did not agree with the procedures that were followed to approve the arrest warrants, there were differences in that,” explained the president, referring to the recent movements of approval and cancellation of arrest warrants for those allegedly involved. since the publication of the most recent report of the Truth and Access to Justice Commission for the case.
The prosecutor submitted his resignation after personnel from the Attorney General’s Office (FGR) canceled 21 arrest warrants without consulting the official -16 of which correspond to members of the Army- because they did not appear in the case report.
Gómez Trejo, who had been appointed in June 2019 as prosecutor for the case and had managed to gain the trust of the families of the disappeared students, had clashed with the head of the FGR, Alejandro Gertz Manero.
One day after the presentation of the report on August 18, which recognized, among other things, that the case was a “state crime”, the FGR announced that 83 arrest warrants had been issued against military, police, members of criminal groups and other officials.
The prosecutor had held the position of executive secretary of the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI) of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, for which he knows the case very well and has the trust of the families and human rights organizations that accompany.
So far, neither Gómez Trejo nor the FGR have made a public statement about the former’s resignation.
Although López Obrador did not delve into the matter, he said that someone will soon be appointed to replace the now former prosecutor and wanted to send a message of confidence to the families of the 43 students.
“Tell the young people of Ayotzinapa, the mothers, the fathers, that they have confidence, that we are going to continue with the investigation. I hope they believe me. We are receiving a lot of pressure of all kinds and from many parties, but we have the firm will to do justice,” said the president.
The “historical truth”, a version of the Government of Enrique Peña Nieto (2012-2018), affirmed that corrupt police officers detained the students and handed them over to the Guerreros Unidos cartel, which murdered and incinerated them in a garbage dump in the southern state of Guerrero. .
The Truth Commission and the Government of Andrés Manuel López Obrador have rejected this “historical truth” by concluding that it was not possible that they were burned there and that several students even remained alive for days after the fact.
Get the latest news in your email
Everything you need to know to start your day
Registering implies accepting the Terms and Conditions