On July 31, 2015, four women and a photojournalist were murdered (Photo: File)
After seven years of the multimohicide that happened in the Narvarte neighborhood of the now Benito Juárez mayor’s office in Mexico City, where five people were murdered on July 31, 2015, the capital’s Attorney General’s Office (FGJ) will initiate an investigation file against of two former prosecutors: Rodolfo Ríos Garza, Edmundo Garrido, as well as Marco Reyes, former prosecutor, accused of destroying and hiding evidence.
This was affirmed by the victims’ lawyers after they left a meeting with the prosecutor Ernestina Godoy and they pointed out that other public servants and investigative agents are also involved.
““He promised to review the complaints that have been filed, and eventually to integrate new investigation files against public servants, including former attorneys and former attorneys who participated in the investigation and who during these seven years, before this administration, prevented that progress be made in the investigation and that the matter be clarified,” said attorney David Peña.
Relatives and friends of the victims continue to search for justice (Photo: File)
Although there is no fixed number of public servants who will be investigated, the litigant mentioned that among them are experts, investigation police, Public Ministries, attorneys, deputy attorneys and prosecutors who participated in hiding information such as videographic materials, burned evidence and clothing of the victims.
On various occasions, Yesenia Quiroz’s mother indicated that in order for them to burn the victims’ clothes, they made them sign a document the day after the terrible event, when they were vulnerable.
“We hope that in the coming weeks or months we can make progress on the responsibility of these servers, including Rodolfo Ríos, Deputy Attorney General Garrido, who was also a prosecutor, Marco Reyes (former central prosecutor for the Investigation for the Attention of the Crime of Homicide ),” he commented.
Likewise, the lawyer Héctor Pérez affirmed that they have pointed out on many occasions that the dynamics of the case correspond to an execution, “when that type of dynamic occurs, we know that it is not only the responsibility of two people, the prosecution throughout the previous administration maintained the hypothesis that there were only three participants and that the mobile was irrelevant,” he said.
The multi-homicide was carried out with extreme violence (Photo: File)
Olivia Alejandra Negrete, Mile Virginia Martín, Yesenia Quiroz Alfaro, Nadia Vera Pérez and Rubén Espinosa were brutally murdered in the building located at 1909 Luz Saviñón Street, relatives and friends of the victims are still waiting for the Prosecutor to clarify the case, since At the press conference that took place in March of this year, the relatives declared that little progress had been made in the investigation.
According to these advances, it was presumed that the motive for the multiple murder would be related to a criminal group that sexually exploited Mile Virginia, a Colombian national, and makeup artist Yesenia Quiroz.
By chance there are currently three men incarcerated: ex-police officer Abraham Torres Tranquilino, who is the only one sentenced, and Daniel Pacheco Martínez and César Omar Martínez Zendejas, this after two months of multi-homicide; however, it has not been enough for the authorities to explain what happened.
The victims of the multiple homicide in the Narvarte neighborhood, which occurred on July 31, 2015 (Photo: Archive)
Family members and human rights defenders argued that there is a lack of progress in the case, which currently has up to eight hypotheses. According to Francisco Calderón, legal representative of photojournalist Rubén Espinosa, the Fisclía follows three main lines of investigation: organized crime, human trafficking and activism.
Seven years after the Narvarte multi-homicide, the search for justice continues Multi-homicide in Narvarte: families of victims accused that the Attorney General’s Office withheld evidence about two other possible murderers Turn in the case of the Narvarte multi-homicide: indications of human trafficking and drug dealing