Peru has increased the number of visitors who can enter the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu daily from 4,000 to 5,000 after protests from tourists, local authorities said Thursday.
“The Machu Picchu Management Unit (UGM) has agreed to increase the entry capacity to the Llaqta (citadel) to 5044 people per day” against 4044 previously, a statement said.
The citadel is located 110 km from Cusco, the ancient capital of the Inca Empire, and was built in the 15th century by Emperor Pachacutec.
“This decision was taken with the aim of responding, exceptionally, to the demand for visitors,” added the UGM.
The Peruvian Ministry of Culture had announced that tickets were sold until August 19.
On Wednesday, about a thousand tourists demonstrated in the village of Machu Picchu to protest the lack of available tickets.
Tourists, from Spain, Colombia, Chile or France, notably temporarily blocked the railway.
Machu Picchu has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1983.
In 2019, the year before the pandemic, the citadel received 1.5 million visitors, according to official figures.
In the first half of this year, there were some 400,000 visitors.
The ticket to enter Machu Picchu costs the equivalent of 40 dollars for foreigners and 16 dollars for Peruvians.