The Jalisco Prosecutor’s Office confirmed this afternoon that the four scavengers who were detained for injuries and gang activity after the confrontation that occurred on May 9 in the historic center of Guadalajara were released.
“Indeed, yesterday the judge fixed preventive detention for the four defendants, today a hearing was held to review the measures,” where the judge determined the release, reported the Jalisco Prosecutor’s Office.
The main square was cleared again after the 12-day sit-in yesterday by the scavengers, who demanded the reopening of the Los Laureles dump or the implementation of a new metropolitan landfill.
The withdrawal was carried out under the promise of dialogue and after the release of the detainees who only yesterday had been linked to the process, according to the leader of the Revolutionary Federation of Workers and Peasants (FROC), Antonio Álvarez Esparza, said that they withdrew looking for broaden the dialogue, since the authorities promised them willingness to resolve the issue.
“The commitment is to dialogue and the commitment was also to obtain the freedom of the fellow workers (…) If a dialogue table is opened and there are real possibilities of having solutions, the comrades agreed that the sit-in could be lifted and with that now the table is vacant and there is no longer a demonstration,” said Álvarez Esparza.