1895. The first mines opened around a village then called “Joltaïa Rieka” (“Yellow River” in Russian).
1950. Uranium deposits are discovered. The following year, the Oriental Mining and Metallurgical Combination was created, which is still active today.
1957. The Soviet power changes the name of the city to “Jovti Vody”. The Palace of Culture is born.
1990. When the USSR fell, more than 60,000 souls lived in Jovti Vody. The city has since lost almost a third of its population.