Sergio Agüero prepares to debut in Barcelona after an extensive stop due to injury
“When I found out, I thought it was a lie. But since I saw that more and more people were saying it, I asked Benjamin’s mother directly. ‘Is it true or not?’ He answered yes. I was thinking about my son, I was very worried about how he was going to find out the news ”. For Sergio Agüero, the death of Diego Armando Maradona was not the loss of a sports idol, of the coach who gave him confidence with the National Team jersey or a symbol that exceeded football. For him When it was goodbye to a relative, to the grandfather that his son loved. The Babu for Benjamin.
The 33-year-old forward, shortly after his official debut with Barcelona, opened his heart to touch on different themes that have him as the protagonist: the loss of Diego, the arrival at Blaugrana dreaming of making a duo with Lionel Messi, the intense relationship with Josep Guardiola and the tragic fate of his friends from Los Eucaliptus, the Quilmes neighborhood where he took his first steps.
“When I asked about the boys I was hanging out with, one was dead, the other prisoner, another was wanted by the police. 15-year-old boys. I still keep in touch with some of my friends. We continue talking, more than 20 years later, ”said the footballer when asked about his last time at Los Eucaliptus, at the age of 16.
Agüero debuted in a friendly with the Barcelona shirt (Photo: @FCBarcelona_es)
Agüero played all the songs after his debut in a friendly in Ronald Koeman’s team and also acknowledged that the departure of the flea Barcelona was “a shock.” “He was very bad. When I found out I couldn’t believe it. That Saturday I went to see him at his house. And, because of my personality, since I couldn’t see it well, I tried to make him forget what had happened. I saw that he was half off and I was trying to distract him ”, he acknowledged in the dialogue he had with the Spanish newspaper The country.
THE MOST OUTSTANDING PHRASES OF KUN AGÜERO
Agüero and Maradona during their stay in the Argentine national team
• How you heard the news: “Bad, very bad (about how you took the news). How could I live it? He had a Champions League game that day. When I found out, I thought it was a lie, like so many other times. But since I saw that more and more people were saying it, I asked Benjamin’s mother directly. I even remember what I asked him. “Is it true or not?” He answered yes ”.
• How you told your son what happened: “I was thinking about my son. In which I had to call him. I was very concerned about how he was going to find out the news. When we were able to speak, I already knew it from a classmate. Diego and Benja got along very well. Diego was a phenomenon with my son. And Benja loved him. I asked my sister to pick him up at school and try to distract him. The next day he wrote to me: ‘Dad, I want to go see him.’ I did not like the idea. He was afraid that he would be left with a bad memory. But since he wanted to, I let him go. He went to the wake at the Casa Rosada with his mother. He told me that he kissed her and that he started crying. I tried to restrain myself so that my son wouldn’t see me badly. They were very difficult days. At least Benja was able to say goodbye to her grandfather ”.
His transfer to Barcelona and the unexpected departure of Messi
The last meeting at Messi’s house before his departure from Barcelona
• Did you regret coming to Barcelona ?: “What player doesn’t want to be at Barça? I would tell you that the majority of footballers would like to wear this shirt, no matter how good or bad Barça is. I arrived with the expectation of playing with Leo and that a good team would be put together. When they called me, I thought: “I don’t care what they pay me. I’m feeling good and I’m going to help the team as much as I can ”.
• The departure of his friend Messi: “It was a moment of shock. He was very bad. When I found out I couldn’t believe it. That Saturday I went to see him at his house. And, because of my personality, since I couldn’t see it well, I tried to make him forget what had happened. I saw that he was half off and was trying to distract him. I was telling him about my Esports team and the things we were doing. I plan to help the team with a goal every time I play. Beyond the changes that happened, among them is the departure of Leo ”.
His childhood in Los Eucaliptus and his relationship with those first friends
Agüero debuted in the first of Independiente when he was 15 years old (Fotobaires)
• The return to his neighborhood of Quilmes: “I was 16 years old. When I asked about the boys I was hanging out with, one was dead, the other prisoner, another was wanted by the police. 15-year-old boys. I still keep in touch with some of my friends. We continue talking, more than 20 years later ”.
• The social gaze: “I listen to people in the villages talking and I think they have no idea what it is. Whoever is there has another life. It is in their world. There is a system of its own, with its greengrocers, its butchers and its stores. There is everything. And all at an affordable price for the people of the village. The problem is that it is very difficult to progress. It happened to my old man. He was looking for work and many times they did not give it to him when he said the place where he lived. And that keeps happening. There are complicated people, too. Of course. But there are also many, like my parents, who are hard-working people, who want the best for themselves and for their family. But it seems that they want us to always stay there ”.
• The educational impact of changing schools: “Whoever lives in the village has to go to a public school. I’m going to tell what happened to me. I don’t know how it is now. When I moved to Independiente, the club sent me to a private school. I was 12 years old. In the private they were doing three-digit divisions and in the public I was doing one. Imagine the difference. He was not qualified to be there. And I started to feel bad. I did not feel comfortable or free. I wanted to go back to my place, where the teacher understood me. It’s a shame that happens. It is a pity that you have to resort to private schools ”.
The link with Josep Guardiola
“I never had problems with Guardiola,” Kun said (Photo: Reuters)
• The relationship at Manchester City: “I never had problems with Guardiola. I never argued with him. We did have to clarify things. When he arrived, as we did not know each other, we had a bit of a trial run. The last three years have been fantastic. Nothing to say. He is a coach who always wants the maximum. If he has a party idea in his head, he does it. He does not care if he has to leave out the team that had scored three goals in the last games. The name of the player does not matter. Unless it’s Messi. I always accepted when I had to play and when not. Gabriel Jesús, as soon as he landed in Manchester, began to play as a starter. I said nothing. I thought my time would come. When Gabriel Jesus was injured I had to play and in those three months I scored 20 goals ”.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi
• The level of both: “That talent comes from the factory. He is more forward than Leo. And what he has, like any scorer, is that when he is with confidence he scores goals, goals and goals ”.
Sergio Agüero played for the first time with Barcelona and scored a goal in a friendly