At around 10:45 am on September 8, a helicopter made an emergency landing in the middle of some bushes in the Buenos Aires village, located two kilometers from the urban area of Cañasgordas, west of Antioquia. The fact was announced by the Civil Aeronautics on the afternoon of the same Wednesday and assured that until 3:30 pm no injuries or deaths were reported.
The entity explained that the accident involved a Bell 206 helicopter identified with registration HK-4404, which belongs to the Heliservice service company. The aircraft had left Medellín bound for an Antioquia municipality other than Cañasgordas.
“The Civil Aeronautics report that today, September 8, at approximately 10:45 am, the Bell 206 helicopter with registration HK-4404, belonging to the Heliservice company, which provides air taxi services, suffered an accident in vicinity of the Cañasgordas population, in the department of Antioquia, when a flight that had started in Medellín ended, ”Aerocivil reported.
As for the passengers, the names have not been released. The authorities limited themselves to saying that there were three occupants of the helicopter: the pilot and two passengers and they are being treated at a local hospital thanks to the fact that an ambulance that had the work of the Guillermo Gaviria Echeverri Tunnel came to the place for the attention of the emergency.
“The information I have is that the securities helicopter that distributes money in the municipality fell. The report is that there are no injured or deceased (…). He had just landed in Cañasgordas and was continuing his route ”, confirmed Aicardo Urrego, mayor of Cañasgordas.
The reported damages are material. The Civil Aeronautics wrote in its statement that, “The helicopter ended up with substantial damage”. Inhabitants of the area evidenced in photos that the helicopter suffered dents in the cans.
So far it is unknown why the aircraft had to make an emergency landing. The authorities assure that they are already carrying out the pertinent investigations, meanwhile, the area was cordoned off.
“An investigative commission of the Civil Aeronautics travels to the site of the event to initiate the investigation that will determine the causes of the accident”, He concluded by assuring the entity.
Although in the last two months around four accidents have been reported, the authorities assure that this is not a frequent situation in Colombia. The Civil Aeronautics, together with several experts in piloting and aviation, pointed out that aviation safety in Colombia is a benchmark. The group of experts pointed out that of the total of tourists who travel by air in Colombia, 98 percent do so in commercial regular aviation aircraft, operated by well-known airlines and the remaining 2 percent do so in private planes.
According to the statistics presented by Miguel Camacho, head of the Civil Aeronautics Air Research Group, the accident rate in Colombia in 2020 was 3.5 per 100,000 flights. This air traffic figure is the equivalent of the six-month operation. However, it is key to underline that accident does not always involve fatalities and injuries. Aircraft damage is also considered.
After an accident happens, the Aeronautics investigations begin, which on average take a year, but can last less if those affected file a lawsuit to expedite the process.
“You have to have the courage to tell the truth”: Andrés Pastrana’s response to the Rodríguez Orejuela accusations Two former Uribe officials convicted of DAS jabs